[column grid=”2″ span=”1″]
[column grid=”2″ span=”1″]1957 was the second year for Lincoln’s new body design on a new 126 inch wheel base which was three inches longer than the 1955 models. The slight modifications for the 1957 model such as adding tail fins, adding more chrome trim, new tail lights and no rear wheel fender skirt gave Lincoln a more massive look over the 1955 model’s flowing clean design. The race was on in the industry. Tail fins were in and soon would be outlandish in design and size. In addition to a standard 300 horsepower V-8 engine, all Lincoln Premiers were equipped with power seats, power steering, power brakes, and electric windows.
Lincoln sales were less in 1957 with only 41,000 units sold compared to 1956 sales of over 50,000 units. Competition was stiff and Lincoln was outsold by Cadillac five to one. Ford Motor Car Company would pin their hopes on the all new 1958 boxy designs to catch Cadillac.
When Ford Motor Company President Edsel Ford returned from a European vacation in September 1938, he asked designer E. T. ‘Bob’ Gregorie for a special car that would be ‘strictly continental.’ Clean uncluttered lines, elegant styling and a nod to art deco were the result.
First seen in the Palm Beach, Florida area in 1934, Edsel soon had orders for 200 ‘just like his.’ Initially available only as a cabriolet, the coupe appeared in May 1940. Production in 1941 was 850 coupes and 400 cabriolets.
The 1957 Premier was a mildly restyled version of the award-winning 1956 model and featured more prominent fins and quad headlights. In addition to a standard 300 horsepower V-8 engine, all Lincoln Premiers were equipped with power seats, power steering, power brakes, and electric windows.